Re: [exim] Are we being harsh

Author: Dennis Davis
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Are we being harsh
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Russell King wrote:

> From: Russell King <rmk+exim@???>
> To: Jakob Hirsch <jh@???>
> Cc: 'Exim-users' <exim-users@???>
> Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:20:17 +0100
> Subject: Re: [exim] Are we being harsh

> However, it appears that there's no prohibition in this RFC on
> rejecting the EHLO for other reasons. For instance, a known
> ficticious domain name, a domain name being used in obviously
> a forged manner, your own domain name/IP literal being used by
> others, etc.
>
> (Then there are arguments about whether RFCs can dictate site
> policy, which are a separate discussion altogether.)

This thread has included detail and interpretations of RFC2922.
However there's some overlap with RFC2821. In particular the
following from RFC2821:

7.7 Scope of Operation of SMTP Servers

It is a well-established principle that an SMTP server may refuse to
accept mail for any operational or technical reason that makes sense
to the site providing the server.

implies (at least to me) that you can do pretty much what you
please.

The above does follow in to say:

However, cooperation among sites
and installations makes the Internet possible. If sites take
excessive advantage of the right to reject traffic, the ubiquity of
email availability (one of the strengths of the Internet) will be
threatened; considerable care should be taken and balance maintained
if a site decides to be selective about the traffic it will accept
and process.

So you do need to be able to justify your actions.
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@???               Phone: +44 1225 386101