[exim] dnslookup router problems

Author: Reven Sánchez
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] dnslookup router problems
Hi

I'm running exim 4.50 on a Debian (testing) box, which is part of a
LAN behind a speedtouch 510 router. Exim has been rejecting relay for
properly authenticated users and for incoming mail.

I've used exim4 -d -bt for testing addresses and I've found and issue
with the /etc/resolv.conf file. This file points the nameserver to the
router, who should try to resolve DNS or relay the query to my ISP's
DNS. This is the configuration on all other boxes with no problems and
even on this box, pings, browsing, etc all works fine. Except exim.
The above command shows a 'email@??? is undeliverable:
Unrouteable address' and exits with a rc=2.

When this /etc/resolv.conf points the nameserver to my ISP's DNS,
addresses are resolved ok and the above command exits with rc=0. But
this isn't the intended configuration, because internal names and
aliases don't resolve.

Everything else works, so I presume it's an exim issue.

Can anybody point out more extensive testing with this?

Thanks in advance,

Reven