Re: [exim] Custom bounce messages for certain users?

Author: Brian Candler
To: exim
CC: exim-users, David Woodhouse
Subject: Re: [exim] Custom bounce messages for certain users?
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:00:25PM +0100, exim@??? wrote:
> Thanks very much for your help,
>
> I note in the logs on the server, the error message does come up, but the
> bounced message comes up as "550 user unknown" ?

Check that's the case with telnet to port 25 and issuing the EHLO, MAIL
FROM, RCPT TO commands by hand.

If so, probably your ACL needs modifying. If your ACL is the standard
default one which comes with Exim, it will have an entry which looks like
this:

  accept  domains       = +local_domains
          endpass
          message       = unknown user
          verify        = recipient

I think the line "message = unknown user" is overriding the error returned
by the router. Try commenting it out.

Regards,

Brian.