Re: [exim] Execution Order in System Filter

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Marc Perkel
CC: Exim Users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Execution Order in System Filter
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:

> In my system filter I'm doing an "unseen save file".
>
> But - after that - I'm modifying headers - and what is being saved is the
> message with the headers are modified. So I guess that the save doesn't occur
> right away then?

This is all explained in the documentation. From the filter.txt file:

1.2 Filter operation                                                         |

It is important to realize that, in Exim, no deliveries are actually made    |
while a filter or traditional .forward file is being processed. Running a    |
filter or processing a traditional .forward file sets up future delivery     |
operations, but does not carry them out.                                     |

The result of filter or .forward file processing is a list of destinations   |
to which a message should be delivered. The deliveries themselves take       |
place later, along with all other deliveries for the message. This means     |
that it is not possible to test for successful deliveries while filtering.   |
It also means that any duplicate addresses that are generated are dropped,   |
because Exim never delivers the same message to the same address more than   |
once.                                                                        |