Re: [exim-dev] [patch] please consider closing all fds on da…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Marc Haber
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] [patch] please consider closing all fds on daemon startup (was: Changes in the daemon startup code, fd's not properly closed?)
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 09:21:26AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > The question therefore is: is it worth just closing 1-255? Will that
> > take significant time? Why not 1-127 or 1-63 or 1-511? Maybe this should
> > be configurable at build time?
>
> No, the way things are at the moment are the right thing. Closing file
> descriptors that we didn't open are prone to break the environment as
> it has happened for libnss-ldap and the Debian patched exim. Debian
> has backed out the patch to un-break libnss-ldap.
>
> Things are fine, don't change.

I had not even got round to thinking about this, but I was unhappy with
the idea anyway, and not very likely to have done anything. Thanks for
letting me know that I don't even need to think about it!