Re: [exim] Help with bounces to non-existing local users

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] Help with bounces to non-existing local users
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Walter H. van Holst wrote:

> Is there a way to reroute mail with an empty sender-address to
> non-existing local users to /dev/null?

What's wrong with the protocol-correct 5xx response at SMTP time?

> I am getting flooded with spam posing as bounces to non-existing
> local addresses.

So verify the recipient.

A properly-behaved MTA won't pester you further, since the envelope
sender is null. And at least it'll leave a genuine rejection entry in
their logs.

To silently accept and discard any kind of mail is no way to run a
reliable mail system. Just sometimes it might nevertheless be
justifiable, but only if all other approaches have failed.

IMHO and YMMV