Re: [exim-dev] exim overzealously cleaning local parts of ma…

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] exim overzealously cleaning local parts of mail addresses
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 05:57:12PM +0100, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 16:35 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > I am now wondering whether exim is actually supposed to remove
> > backslashes
>
> yes. see RFC 2821. a backslash only protects the next characters.
> consider the e-mail address <Smith\,John@???>

Looks like I misinterepreted. I thought that this rule only applied
outside of quoted local parts, making <Smith\,John@???> the
same then <"Smith,John"@???>.

> > and mess with the character case of the local part while
> > routing and would like to hear your comments (or is that more a topic
> > for exim-users?)
>
> see caseful_local_part. if you want case-insensitive matching, you need
> to make sure your source for usernames is normalised to just lower case.

Lowercasing all usernames is not possible if you get the user name
list from some entity not under your control (for example, a LDAP
directory). I'd prefer exim doing a case-insensitive comparision if
caseful_local_part is false. I am not sure about the implications of
doing this changce though.

Greetings
Marc