RE: [exim] RE: A type of spam

Author: David Brodbeck
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] RE: A type of spam

It can. It all depends on the router. If the router that sends mail to the
other system is set up to verify recipients, it will work. You also need to
use "verify = recipient" in the RCPT ACL, of course. For example:

  accept domains = +relay_to_domains
         endpass
         message = unrouteable address
         verify = recipient/defer_ok

Most of the time, a callout is the easiest way to accomplish actually
checking to see if the user is valid.

> If not, is it possible to do it via searching a
> database of valid users or some other method?

Yes, the router can do this. For example, my Exim system forwards mail to a
Microsoft Exchange 5.5 system. The router uses the LDAP database on the
Exchange system to check if recipients are valid. There's a good example of
this in the sample configuration files -- see C043.txt, if this is what
you're looking to do.