Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian

Autor: Bruce Richardson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 06:08:31PM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:
> I don't follow on this. If you "drop" a packet (as I understand it, dropped
> packets mean no data is returned), how can someone know the device is there
> or not? What's the difference between say dropping a packet and unplugging
> the ethernet cable?

If you disconnect an ethernet cable, the router on the local segment
will usually become aware of this (when nothing answers their ARP
queries for that address) and start returning "host unreachable" icmp
packets to anything trying to connect to the missing host. Firewalls
that simply "drop" packets do not trigger the same behaviour, so reveal
their presence. So dropping packets can be more revealing than simply
rejecting them (sending back an icmp error message).

--
Bruce

Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards, apart from
ostriches if you punch them hard enough.