Re: [exim] How to get the local MX? (And domain?)

Autor: Toralf Lund
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How to get the local MX? (And domain?)
Tony Finch wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>>Maybe it's not that *well-defined,* but it in the Linux world it's at least
>>*defined*. See 'man dnsdomainname'.
>>

>The parent domain of a host is not necessarily the same as its mail
>domain.

You are absolutely right. But maybe the domain of the host is what I
want, regardless of what the mail domain is. Also, maybe if you think in
terms of "official" or "primary" information, there are after all only
two possible "domains of the local host", namely

1. The domain part of the FQDN.
2. The domain part $primary_hostname

You could easily imagine Exim putting each of those in a separate
variable. There is also $qualify_domain, of course, but that's
conceptually different from the "domain or network of the host" (which
is what I asked about), I think, even though it will often be equal to
1. or 2. above (or both.)