Re: [exim] Why is STARTTLS preferred over tls_on_connect_por…

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: Exim Users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Why is STARTTLS preferred over tls_on_connect_ports?
On 3/16/2005 5:23, "Marc Sherman" <msherman@???> wrote:

> After writing the answer to Guy De Leeuw's question about TLS, I got to
> thinking; why is STARTTLS after connection on ports 25/587 preferred to
> tls_on_connect_ports on port 465?

The main reason tls_on_connect is still around is Microsoft, whose clients
believe that STARTTLS has meaning only on port 25, while when told to use
secure connections to other ports do tls on connect.

If I'm wrong, please tell me how to set them up...I'd be delighted to stop
worrying about whether we're going to have to turn port 465 back on (at
least it's easier now than it was before).

--John