Re: [exim] annoyance with reverse lookup

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Andris Peize
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] annoyance with reverse lookup
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Andris Peize wrote:

> on 4.44 I set
> verify = reverse_host_lookup/defer_ok

I have now looked at this report. If you read the documentation (section
39.20 in the 4.50 manual), you will discover that there is no /defer_ok
option for this verify condition.

There is therefore a bug in that Exim is not diagnosing a configuration
error for this setting.

1. I will fix the bug.
2. I will add a WishList item suggesting the addition of /defer_ok.

> Then it first looks up dns, which is fine,
>
> Then it reduntantly calls gethostbyaddr() which returns EAGAIN and now
> defer_ok seems like has no purpose at all

The code seems very clear that any DEFER stops it, so I'm unclear how it
would call gethostbyaddr() after a temporary error from the DNS. Are you
sure it went on to call gethostbyaddr()?

> I had to set host_lookup_order to get previous behavior back.

What was the "previous behaviour"?