[exim] exim 4.4 authentication

Autor: Ian Firla
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] exim 4.4 authentication
Hello all,

I've been fighting with an Exim 4.4 configuration today. It's running
on Debian Sarge.

I imported and converted my old Exim 3 configuration file and after a
bit of tweaking, I got exim starting without any warnings; however,
smtp authentication is still not working. Not having any errors to go
by, I don't really know where to begin.

Telneting to the server a feeding it an ehlo gives me:

250-l41 Hello 213-156-52-112.fastres.net [213.156.52.112]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP

I was expecting a 250-AUTH line there.

I'm not very familiar with Exim 4. So much is probably obvious... I
don't think it's appropriate for me to post my entire exim4.conf here
but I have read the example configuration files and tried to use those
as a model. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Ian