Re: [exim] Re: [exim-dev] buffer overflow?

Author: Mark Morley
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: [exim-dev] buffer overflow?
> I see maybe 25 of these a day. Always related to a sync error, usually from
> different IPs, always the group file never anything else, and on multiple
> machines. Only started with 4.50 and I've absolutely no doubt that this is
> NOT the result of cracked server.

More info in case it helps:

All machines are running FreeBSD 4.11 except for one that is still at 4.10
Machines are all P4 or AMD boxes, two are dual processors. All machines have
1-2 gigs of RAM. Some boxes are dedicated to mail, others also do other
tasks. Only things they really have in common if Exim and FreeBSD.

Exim options are pretty standard with content scanning and spf enabled, but
I doubt those have anything to do with it.

This appears to mainly be cosmetic. As far as I can tell these are all legitimate
cases of sync errors (ie: connections from the same IP addresses generate other
sync errors without the /etc/group contents. Looks like under certain circumstances
a pointer is getting messed up (or a file descriptor as Tabor suggests) and it's
displaying the wrong data in the log.

Mark