Re: [exim] exim with tls

Autor: Lars Mainka
A: Balzi Andrea
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] exim with tls
Hi Andrea,

> I'm tring to configure my exim-4.44 with TLS support.
> When I try to connect to send mail by a client in mainlog I've this error
> and I can't send mail.
>
> 2005-03-09 21:41:24 TLS error on connection from balzi [10.1.4.11]
> (SSL_accept): error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)

could you please supply additional info about your tls configuration. Especially the whole tls_*
entries and the configuration of the transports which should use tls. Please include the output from
' $ openssl version ' also.

> I've try to find an example of configuration of TLS but I could't to get it.
> I usually used exim like a smtp-relay and it works.
> The problem that I got now is this: I need to use the relay with SSMTP with
> TLS for just one another server in bidirectional way but in this case it
> dosen't work.
> Can you drive me to find out the right configutation?

As a shortcut, in the global configuration of exim is everything what the server uses to negotiate a
tls session, in the transports config part is the configuration which is used when exim acts as a
client. When Exim acts as a server, the client "can or must" send (based on tls_try_verify_hosts or
tls_verify_hosts) a client certificate which will then get checked agaist locally on the server
installed CA certificates. If the verification is OK, the connection is established, otherwise not.

Greetings,
Lars