Re: [exim] Exim on *BSDs -- User Experience Feedback?

Autor: Mark Morley
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim on *BSDs -- User Experience Feedback?
> > Seconded - I run several Exim installations on both FreeBSD 4 and 5.
>
> Thirded.

Fourthed??

We've been running Exim on FreeBSD boxes since... well, since as long as
I can recall (before that it was Smail on a Sparc 5 running SunOS 4.x,
so it was a while ago :-)

Currently we run Exim 4.50 on several different servers. The largest setup
handles 800,000 messages a day on a pair of clustered dual-processor boxes
running FreeBSD 4.11 Messages under 100K are passed through Spam Assassin**
(which has all features enabled plus several additional rulesets), and we
scan messages with two different virus scanners. 85% of all messages are in
the queue less than 60 seconds, 99% less than 15 minutes. And 'top' reports
80-90% idle time on the CPUs most of the time. In fact we can pull the plug
on either one and the other will take over the IP addresses within 3 seconds
and handle the whole load itself in a pinch (great for doing upgrades).

In other words, the combination of Exim and FreeBSD (and I'm sure NetBSD
and OpenBSD would be similar) is an excellent choice (in my opinion).

Mark

** Note that we mirror most of the large DNSBLs (about 750 megabytes of raw
zone files) which greatly speeds up SA processing...