Re: [exim] upgrade to 4.50 problems

Author: Philip Hazel
To: niles
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] upgrade to 4.50 problems
Subject: Re: [exim] upgrade to 4.50 problems
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 niles@??? wrote:

> I removed the old hints file,

All of them???

> and did a queue delivery with debugging on.

> Delivery address list:
> niles@???
> locking /var/spool/exim/db/retry.lockfile
> locked /var/spool/exim/db/retry.lockfile
> LOG: MAIN PANIC
> queue run: process 27196 crashed with signal 11 while delivering
> 1D7M3b-0006Ec-2F

That really does look as though the crash has happened in the DB
library, when trying to open the retry hints file (the one for which it
has just created a lock). That's why I asked whether you are sure you
deleted all the hints files, in particular, /var/spool/exim/db/retry*

> Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.3.11: (July 12, 2001)

Hmm. Interesting, because your 4.50 build had the same Berkeley DB. That
casts doubt on the theory that it is a change of DB library that
provokes the problem. If you look at the dbfn.c source module, at line
150 you will find these two lines:

sprintf(CS buffer, "%s/db/%s", spool_directory, name);
EXIM_DBOPEN(buffer, flags, EXIMDB_MODE, &(dbblock->dbptr));

That's the call to open the hints file. Try inserting this statement
immediately afterwards:

DEBUG(D_hints_lookup|D_retry|D_route|D_deliver)
debug_printf("returned from EXIM_DBOPEN\n");

If you see that output, the crash didn't happen inside the DB library.
If you don't, it did.