Re: [exim] Testing what ports are open on the sending host.

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: Exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Testing what ports are open on the sending host.
On 3/6/2005 15:24, "Edgar Lovecraft" <exim-list@???> wrote:

> In otherwords, all those "legit" but faulty
> implementations from mostly small to medium sized companies and
> educational institutions who tend to use one server for both inbound and
> outbound SMTP traffic and have no idea what in-addr.arpa space is.

Or whose upstream refuses to give them a proper reverse setup. That's
pretty common with the upstreams that small offices, etc wind up using.
Fortunately, the smallish local cable outfit here is willing to do a custom
reverse for a business account.

And educational institutions...it's gotten better here in Washington State,
but it is still a problem that the "wednet" admins manage name service for
everything K through 12 in the state (except Seattle) and at least some
community colleges...and only recently did the wednet admins get their act
together. Before then, lots of schools knew their setup was wrong but were
unable to get the admins to fix it (lots of others, of course, had no
clue--I'm sure the admins thought those were much nicer schools).

--John
(wednet seems to mean Washington Education Network)