[exim] Testing what ports are open on the sending host.

Author: Marc Perkel
To: Phil Brutsche
CC: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Testing what ports are open on the sending host.

Phil Brutsche wrote:

> Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> check you see if ports 587, 465, and 783 were open
>

> Marc,
>
> Be prepared to explain to your upstream why you are port scanning
> other people's mail servers.
>
> On a similar note, why TF are you checking for port 783? Yes, I know
> that it's typically used for SpamAssassin, but why check when just
> about any self-respecting admin would restrict access preventing you
> from getting any results back anyway?

It is my theory that hosts who send spam have different ports open than
hosts who send ham and I'm not suggesting doing a port spam on ever
connevtion but if a few choice ports were tested and the results fed
into bayes then I think it would work as a white rule that statistically
if the sending host is running spam assassin that they probably aren't a
spammer.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@???

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com