Re: [exim] Defer as a spam filter

Author: Mark Lowes
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [exim] Defer as a spam filter
On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 14:28 +0100, Tom Kistner wrote:
[ much stuff about greylisting ]
> It all depends on how you can afford to push a policy that is
> uncomfortable for your users. The ones I relay email for prefer
> instant incoming delivery over a few more genital enlargement
> messages. ;)

And that's the crux of the matter.

Implementing greylisting is all down to how sensitive your users are to
delays and how vocal they are about spam. I've implemented greylisting
on ISP systems in the past but only those where they were paying for a
filtering service anyway. It was much easier to justify the delays
under those conditions, particularly when I could quote the rates at
which it junked spam. Implementing on the core systems is something
which I'm much more twitchy about, but assuming the spammers aren't
morphing any time soon it might become essential just to keep control of
the junk load.

--
Mark Lowes <hamster@???>