Re: [exim] Defer as a spam filter

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Mark Nipper
CC: Exim-Users \(E-mail\), Carl Inglis
Subject: Re: [exim] Defer as a spam filter
Mark Nipper wrote:

> I'd say that is a total of at least fifty thousand e-mail
> addresses if not substantially more for service addresses and
> departmental stuff. We've had a few problems here and there, but
> on the whole it's been rather painless.

My experiences have been less positive. I like to get my email quickly.
Some remote hosts (large organizations) have their initial retry times
set up to 6 hours.

_My_ users are used to transfer times of seconds. A typical 10-30 minute
delay in either direction means loss of time and thus money.

User: XXX from YYY just called and asked if I got his mail.
       I didn't. Can you check where it is?
Me:   It got stuck in our greylisting. You'll have to wait until
       their server retries. Dunno when that will be. But the next
       email will go faster!
User: ??? WHAT?

I prefer to live without that kind of conversation. But I know that
email admins in academia are nearly untoucheable. That is another matter
in real business.

/tom