[exim-dev] Changes in the daemon startup code, fd's not prop…

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-dev
Assumptes nous: [exim-dev] [patch] please consider closing all fds on daemon startup (was: Changes in the daemon startup code, fd's not properly closed?)
Assumpte: [exim-dev] Changes in the daemon startup code, fd's not properly closed?
Hi,

I would like to inquire whether the daemon startup code has been
changed in the process that led us from 4.44 to 4.50. I am
experiencing the following issue:

After reconfiguring a Debian package, the daemon is restarted. When
that restart is happening, the Debconf frontend is still running which
does funky things with the file descriptors.

We now have the situation that the reconfiguration script never exits
after restarting the daemon. The Debconf frontend stays around,
waiting to read from a file descriptor associated with a pipe that
seems to be connected to the newly started exim daemon. This happens
independently of that new daemon doing SMTP listening, spawning queue
runners or both.

The issue can be reproduced with a 4.50 daemon, but doesn't happen
with a 4.44 daemon.

The relevant parts of Debconf and our scripts around Debconf and exim
did not change. They're the same in both packages, so this leaves only
the daemon to be responsible for this change in behavior.

Can somebody more familiar with the actual exam code please take a
look? Is it possible that a file descriptor that has been introduced
with 4.50 is not properly closed when the daemon starts, or that a
close operation that has been in place before has been lost during the
4.50 release process?

I'd appreciate any hints and will happily deliver additional
information on request.

Greetings
Marc