RE: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim

Autor: David Brodbeck
A: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim

I suppose it depends on what software you're using, and how quickly it's
updated. The author of HylaFAX, for example, actively objects to people
running the version packaged with Debian Stable because so many bugs in it
are fixed in the newer release. Ask a question about the Stable version and
the first thing he'll tell you is "upgrade, then ask me again if that
doesn't help." The situation is similar with Samba and Exim. If you're
running applications that don't change much in ways that are important, I
can see how Stable's release cycle would be attractive. You can't expect
much support from upstream maintainers if you run it, though.

I use Debian anyway, because the ability of apt to handle multiple releases
simultaneously gets rid of most of the pain of pulling in newer versions of
packages where it's important. (Anyone who is running Debian and isn't
familiar with this needs to read
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html.)