Re: [exim] [Debian normal bug #296492] exim4: remote_smtp tr…

Author: Laurent Fousse
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [Debian normal bug #296492] exim4: remote_smtp transport should fallback to ipv4 with fallback_hosts too
Hi,

* Philip Hazel [Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 02:06:43PM +0000]:
> >  - line 3 and 4, you can see my exim trying to use my two
> >    fallback_hosts (nowwhat.l.o and silence.l.o) which have both an A
> >    and an AAAA record, failing on the AAAA record for lack of IPv6
> >    connectivity. At this point, exim does not use the A record for any
> >    of my fallback_host and delivery is deferred.

> When I look in the DNS, I find only an A record for those hosts. Where
> are you getting the IPv6 address from?

I manage the zone file and manually set the AAAA record there.

laurent@frutti:~$ host -t aaaa nowwhat.lateralis.org
nowwhat.lateralis.org has AAAA address 2001:838:300:2ab::2

Manually querying each of the three listed NS servers yields the same.
The query was tested on three different hosts including one without
IPv6 address.

I think my zone file is fine, but I appreciate help in debugging it if
it's not the case.

> nowwhat.lateralis.org.         A  81.56.190.81
> AAAA lookup for nowwhat.lateralis.org. yielded NXDOMAIN

> We definitely need to see debugging output to figure out what is going
> on here.

Working on this.