Re: [exim] [Debian normal bug #296492] exim4: remote_smtp tr…

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] [Debian normal bug #296492] exim4: remote_smtp transport should fallback to ipv4 with fallback_hosts too
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:27:02 +0100, Laurent Fousse
<laurent@???> wrote:
> - Unfortunately, you don't see subsequent queue runs "stuck" on this
> particular example because of the way greylisting works (the remote
> smtp server accepts the next attempt) but I have seen it already. I
> could dig my logfile to find an example, or try to recreate it
> manually, but IIRC there's nothing more in the log than line 3 and
> 4 repeated for each queue run.

What might be interesting would be debug output of a process trying to
deliver (exim -d -M $MESSAGE_ID). If you can reproduce the problem, it
would be nice to try putting a message on the queue with -odq (not
sure about the option), and then delivering it with debugging enabled.

>> Nevertheless, the failure to connect to the IPv6 address(es) should be
>> fairly much instant, and we should fall back to the other address(es).
>> Please could you describe the problem in more detail?
>
>I'll try to provide more details if needed. I'll need to setup an
>email address to always return a temporary failure to help testing, do
>you have a simple way to do that?

put the following in your recipient ACL:

  defer message = this address always causes a temporary failure
        recipients = tempfail@???

Actually, tempfail@??? will remain set up like that for some
time, but the MX does not have ipv6.

Greetings