Re: [exim] Received-SPF, :spf_received: -> :at_start_rfc: ?

Autor: Bill Hacker
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Received-SPF, :spf_received: -> :at_start_rfc: ?
Axel Thimm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the exiscan spec was suggesting to use
>
> warn message = :spf_received:$spf_received
>
> "Exim introduced selectable header positions in Version 4.43.
> One option allows you to add your header after all Received:
> headers. For optimal SPF draft/RFC2822 compliance, exiscan-acl
> adds one other option, called "spf-received". It adds your
> header before the first header which is NOT Received: or
> Resent-*:, seen from the top of the header stack."
>
> :spf_received: seems to have gone in 4.50, but there is
> :at_start_rfc:, which seems to add "immediately before any line that
> is not a Received: or Resent-something: header."
>
> This looks even correcter to me (skipping Resent-* headers as well).
>
> So, is
>
> warn message = :at_start_rfc:$spf_received
>
> the new suggested method of adding Received-SPF?
>
> Thanks!

Possibly the most commonly suggested method of using SPF seems to be
'not at all', or at least 'only with specific correspondents, and then
only with customization' (and a grain of salt?).

Aside from lack of universality, implementation variances, and several
known cases of major ISP's with downright *useless* implementations, SPF
simply does not / cannot do what was intended consistently and securely.
Not even on good days.

Best left alone until something better appears *AND* sees thorough
testing, debugging, and wide adoption.

YMMV,

Bill Hacker