Re: [exim] Unrouteable address error (debian-specific)

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Unrouteable address error (debian-specific)
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 07:22:06 +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian
<linux@???> wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 13:39 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>> Beware! pinning a package with as many library dependencies as exim to
>> a later release will most probably let you end up with library
>> packages pulled in from a later release as well which might put you in
>> a situation which is worse than upgrading to the later release
>> completely.
>
>So, either
>
>1. Use a backport of exim4 for stable (there's at least one)

The backport available on backports.org is being delivered by the
backports.org team in _very_ close coordination with the Debian exim 4
maintainers, so most users should be fine with that.

>2. We'll just have to see if more debian users can't shed their utter
>fear of "cp src/EDITME local/Makefile, vi local/Makefile, make, make
>install" and stop frantically searching for a debian package.

the shell command you've been given is about 10 % of what it takes to
get a working exim installation.

>People - especially newbies - using the debian configuration system for
>exim clearly tends to be rather unpopular upstream,

We have done quite a lot to keep them from popping up here. Please say
what else we can do short of making the Debian exim 4 packages refuse
to send e-mail to exim-users@??? in the default config..

>given the non
>standard customizations that take place when it has to be autoconfigured
>by debian.

What our configuration scheme delivers isn't _that_ non-standard, if
you look at it (which I presume you didn't). The way we use to
generate the configuration is, however, the standard for Debian
GNU/Linux (it is us who set it), and I am pretty sure that a fair
share (I'd guess more than 30 % and certainly being in the top ten) of
new exim 4 installations is actually using our configuration scheme.

Greetings
Marc