Re: [exim] At what point is the initial connect greeting sen…

Autor: Wakko Warner
A: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users, 'Matthew Newton', Larry Rosenman
Assumpte: Re: [exim] At what point is the initial connect greeting sent?
Marc Perkel wrote:
> Yeah - thats the idea - get rid of spammers with a 2 second delay.

Or just raising the tripping bar. I've thought of somehow having the delay
condition work like this:

On connect, there are some delays due to DNS lookups, ident lookups, etc (if
enabled). Lets say *I* want an initial delay of 10 seconds. What I want is
a delay of 10 seconds from connect time to banner being displayed. Ok, so
the dns lookup took 5 seconds, ident was immediate and there's nothing else
at connection time. Delay 10s means the true delay is 15 seconds. What if
I want to subtract that initial delay?

Ok, so what if the dns took a bit longer, say 15s to do the lookup. I want
a 10 second delay. Well, I know 15s is > 10s, but if exim was patched to
know how long from inital connect to the delay statement was, it could
subtract that from the delay requested. if <= 0, no delay. However, the
caller would still see a delay.

I had thought about tarpitting everything that I found connecting to my
system at the earliest stages. In an RBL? delay them initially. bad helo,
add to the delay and delay more, bad mail from, more delays. at rcpt time
just delay and refuse regardless (that is if I was going to).