Re: [exim] Port 465/587 revisited

Author: Michael Johnson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Port 465/587 revisited
On 24 Feb, 2005, at 11:36:53. 0 AM, Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> Michael Johnson wrote:
>
>> In trying to implement this, I've run into a complication. I can't
>> send mail using this method. I don't get a greeting message/banner
>> and it doesn't seem to be able to authenticate me.
>
> Does your mail client support SSL (without STARTTLS)? Because that's
> what the smtps port is for, just like https, pop3s, imaps ...
> Some clients only support TLS (start with plain smtp, then do
> STARTTLS). In this case you should use port 587 (submission).

I'm not certain. I'll look to see if Apple's Mail.app supports it.

>> [smudette:~] michael% telnet mail 465
>> Trying 69.17.37.194...
>> Connected to smudo.emjay.net.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> That's it...even after a minute of waiting. Nothing after the
>> initial connection. No greeting message/banner.
>
> openssl s_client -connect mail:465

[smudo:/usr/exim] root# openssl s_client -connect mail:465
CONNECTED(00000003)
27146:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert
handshake failure:s23_clnt.c:470:

Given the "error" entry in the second position, I'm guessing this
doesn't work. How would I enable smtps?

-Michael

There will always be those who dare to take great risks. Rather than
mourn their loss, we should value their contributions.
             --Jesse Brown