RE: [exim] sender verify at verizon.net (sigh)

Author: Dan Shoop
To: Larry Rosenman, exim-users
CC:
Subject: RE: [exim] sender verify at verizon.net (sigh)
At 8:17 AM -0600 2/22/05, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>FWIW, I used some of my old ISP contacts, and am in contact with
>Someone at verizon that is looking into it.

I've been down this path before with Verizon.

If you have a Verizon account, that is if you have DSL, a WiFi
account, a cell phone with email, a cellular wireless IP agreement,
or dial-up ISP service from them -- anything that gives you a Verizon
email address -- you *can* call their tech support and speak to a
human to discuss this matter. Just tell them you unable to receive
email from certain domains.

I was able to speak to a "technician" (not the standard first tier
person, but got bumped up the chain a few times) b/c I said I was a
postmaster for the domain not able to send email and he described
what they're doing -- which isn't sender verify per se, but a more
elaborate scoring system -- and how to avoid issues.

Basically if you have any accounts that send mail and can't properly
receive it, you'll get blocked. If you reject too many connection
attempts, drop or timeout they'll block you. These criteria are all
used to form a score which is cached with an expiration. During the
duration of the cached block they'll reject you for the same reasons,
if the connect succeeds it gets cleared. When the cache entry expires
they'll start testing again. If you fail for the same reasons this
will increase the score and increase the length of the new cached
record. It would appear that they have a whitelist to which domains
from which customers complain about not receiving email from get's
entries. It's not clear this whitelist alone removes all problems,
but it does seem to be used to effect the score.

The "technician" was rather vague, either b/c he wasn't fully
familiar with all the manoeuvres in place or didn't want to give away
information that would assist spammers.

And yes they do properly handle mailing lists.
--

-dhan

Dan Shoop                                                   AIM: iWiring
Systems & Networks Architect                     http://www.iwiring.net/
shoop@???                                 http://www.ustsvs.com/

pgp key fingerprint: FAC0 9434 B5A5 24A8 D0AF 12B1 7840 3BE7 3736 DE0B

iWiring designs and supports Internet systems and networks based on
Mac OS X, unix, and Open Source application technologies and offers
24x7, guaranteed support to registered clients, at affordable rates.