Re: [exim] TYhe Evolution of Spammers

Autor: Bob Branch
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] TYhe Evolution of Spammers
Marc Perkel wrote:
> All spammers are not equal. There are sophisticated spammer and
> unsophisticated ones. The spammers that use open relays are in the
> second category. I'm already blocking 100% in this class of spammer.And
> - if I were an open relay spammer and I could only send one message a
> minute and that message bounced - I think I would find a better open
> relay to use.

Hypothetically speaking, if your method works, it's quite possible it'd
gain wide acceptance - which is where I was speaking from. No spammers
are going to even bother noticing if just YOU do this. If it became
accepted practice, both types of spammers would adapt their methods to
get through it, since there is a very simple and obvious way through it.
Sure, it'd be slow, but it'd be better from their perspective than
having no ways to get their spam through. Don't forget that spam is an
industry with it's own software manufacturers whose sole job it is to
find ways to work with and around restrictions such as this, and push
the updates with those methods downstream to the end-users of their
products (which include BOTH types of spammers). It WOULD cut down on
the ambient bandwidth and resource usage, but it'd still alow any
spammer to send 86,400 messages per day per IP address (yes, an
improvement, but not a fix). I have 5 IP addresses at home
- that's still 432,000 spams a day that I could send if I was a
spammer, and I'm just using the soho static IP dsl SBC-Yahoo provides,
that wouldn't even take into account zombies...

Bob..