Re: [exim] Thoughts on Open Relays

Author: Mark Lowes
To: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Thoughts on Open Relays
On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 07:15 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
> I think Bill and others on the list missed the point that this would be
> a SPAM FREE open relay.

Unless you've managed to solve the problem and stop all spam without
breaking legit email (if you have why aren't you off making shed loads
of money putting all the other anti-spam setups out of business) then
it's going to be worse than useless.

Either it'll let spam through and you will be listed, or it'll block
legit email and people who are relying on your service will not be able
to assume that a critical email is going to get through.

If you're really wanting to provide a service to the public provide a
public smtpauth based server with a sign up page, at least then you can
turn on and off the access for abusive users. Though I think you'll
find the work far more than it's worth.

If you do turn on an open relay I'm sure it will be listed (all it takes
is someone sending a legit test email through and then reporting that to
various anti-spam lists) and then you will be blocked from all of my
personal and business servers. While open relays are not the spam
spigot they were they are still used by the spammers and will be abused
if you give them slime sucking scum half a chance.

    Mark

--
Mark Lowes <hamster@???>