Re: [exim] EXIM 4.43 on cygwin gives 451 error when network …

Author: Bill Hacker
To: Leon
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] EXIM 4.43 on cygwin gives 451 error when network is down
Leon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for reading this message.
>
> I'm working on a new setup of a system, the aim is to always accept
> email from the localhost.
> Even when the network is down, e-mail has to be queued for later delivery.
> Security is not a concern as the machine will be behind a firewall and
> doesn't accept external connections
>

> When I pull the network cable from the mail server and try to get a
> message into the queue exim
> gives the following error; " 451 Temporary local problem "
>
> But it is possible to put a mail on the queue like this :
>    cat filename   | exim -f  user@??? user@???
> So it should be possible as it seems to be functioning

> Apparently it does a DNS lookup so:
> I tried to mail to an IP address like user@??? no success
> I tried to put the hostname.domain name of the receiving mail server in
> the (windows) hostfile: no success
>
> So should I run a named to answer the query ?
> or
> Do you know what to change in the config to have exim accept mail the
> normal way in a network down situation?.
>
> All suggestions are welcome
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Leon Berkers

Unless you have altered the routers and transports, the very presence of
a '@<domain>.<tld>' keys Exim to do an smtp delivery with DNS lookup,
i.e 'off box' or over the 'net' as opposed to local_delivery. Browse
the configure file - it is commented on that issue.

To test further, try sending to just 'user' without the @{whatever} and
see if such messages are correctly identified and handled by the
'local_delivery' means.

Windows has (vestigial?) hosts files and such - but whether it uses them
depends, IIRC, on other settings.

If you are actually using an IP literal as above, you need to also
review settings for that in TWO places in Exim's configure file.

If all else fails, you can also use a custom router & transport to
insure your local user community can get immediate direct delivery of
internal messages - even if the 'net is down. Lots of adaptable
examples around.

HTH

Bill Hacker