Re: [exim] 5 Minute Penalty Box

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 5 Minute Penalty Box
On 19 Feb 2005 at 14:26, Marc Perkel wrote about
    "Re: [exim] 5 Minute Penalty Box":

| Marc Sherman wrote:

| > One thing worth noting is that with the ACL you mention above, it
| > looks like you're accepting (and then bouncing) the first message to a
| > bad recipient.

We don't see what will happen to it.

| > The warn should probably be a deny instead. You don't
| > want it to be a defer, because once you've done a callout that
| > actually fails, you want a 5XX, not a 4XX. Otherwise a legitimate
| > sender who typos your address doesn't get a bounce for 5 days.

| What my code does is the first one is accepted but triggers the block
| for the next 5 minutes.

It's a bad address. What do you do with it after you accept it?

| And I do want to return a 4XX code because this
| is where message are probably spam - but may not be - and I want the
| non-spam to try again. I'm counting on the spammer email to go away.

I think you're misunderstanding Marc's point, Marc. The ACL snippet
you posted doesn't show you deferring the first bad address, it shows
you accepting it. Presumably you catch it with a later deny (why
would you *accept* an invalid recipient?), but why not make the warn
you showed a deny instead?

- Fred