Re: [exim] 5 Minute Penalty Box

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 5 Minute Penalty Box
On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 16:56 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
>So - after one attempted message to a failed recipient I add the from
>address to a list and the next time I return a temporary error. The list
>is cleared every 5 minutes so if someone sent something innocently -
>they are only blocked for 5 minutes.
>
>But - someone probing for email addresses only get to do it once every 5
>minutes. All their other attempts are blocked.

So when someone sends a mail to me with faked sender fred@???,
and my systems do a callout to check that address, I get blocked for 5
minutes?

And if I send a message to you and manage to mistype your address, then
correct it when I get the bounce, I'm also blocked for 5 minutes?

Consider doing it only for incoming non-bounce messages and only on the
second and subsequent failed address, not the first.

--
dwmw2