Re: [exim] auth_hack_outlook4 for Exim4

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] auth_hack_outlook4 for Exim4
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Marc Haber wrote:

> Which might be caused by the fact that Debian has been using exim as
> its default MTA for years, probably accounting for more than half of
> exim installations out there.
>
> Does the exim community consider this a Bad Thing?

For myself, I consider the fact that Debian is still introducing new
users to Exim 3, three years after it was superseded, a Bad Thing for
those users, because there is nowhere that they can get good support any
more.

Debian did indeed ensure that Exim was spread a lot more widely, but
equally, it also caused it to spread among users who had much less
sysadmin experience that those who had used it before. This changed the
nature of the mailing list quite significantly at the time. (When I
wrote Exim and the reference manual, I was aiming at experienced
sysadmins who would be replacing an existing MTA, not newbies installing
their first OS and MTA.) I'm not complaining; I'm just reporting what
happened.

> If so, I'll happily report this to the Debian people responsible,
> suggesting that we choose a different MTA as default for the release
> after sarge, expected in late 2006 earliest.

You are, of course, entirely free to do that, and Debian is entirely
free to choose whichever MTA it wants to.