Re: [exim] Greylisting

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Daniel Tiefnig
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] Greylisting
Subject: Re: [exim] Greylisting
On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 11:38 +0100, Daniel Tiefnig wrote:
> Yes, but the thought, that we have to queue every single ******* message
> in the first place just because someone's greylisting, makes me kind of
> sick.

Indiscriminate greylisting would be bad. If I implement greylisting,
it'll be triggered by something in the incoming mail -- like a SA score
above zero, and it'll have a lot of whitelisting for high-volume
senders. Making them resend every single message isn't acceptable either
for the the sender or for the recipient.

In particular, if a given host is found to _actually_ resubmit a mail
after a temporary rejection, there's no point in _ever_ using
greylisting with that host again. You _know_ it queues mail properly and
isn't a dump-and-run spammer. It may be a spammer or an open relay, but
greylisting isn't going to help you deal with it.

--
dwmw2