Re: Possible Sieve vacation bug (Was: [exim] Sieve vacation)

Author: Bob Johannessen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Possible Sieve vacation bug (Was: [exim] Sieve vacation)
Michael Haardt skrev:
>>vacation :addresses "a@b" "I'll be back for newyears";
>>vacation :addresses "c@d" "I'll be back for newyears";
>
> Again: That is not a valid Sieve script, because two vacation actions
> would be executed. You must use:

The only reference i could find to this is the following from section
3.8. Interaction with Other Sieve Actions:

      Vacation can only be executed once per script.  If vacation is used
      with another vacation, the script fails.

It's not clear to me that this makes the above script invalid. Consider
for example the address/account x@y, which has the addresses a@b and c@d
forwarded to it. In that case, the above script would be perfectly
valid for messages To: a@b and c@d (but not x@y). It's not inconceivable
that someone would want to write a script along the lines of:

if header :contains ["to","cc","resent-to","resent-cc" "x@y" {
    ...something...
} else {
    vacation :addresses "a@b" "I'll be back for newyears";
    ...something else...
    vacation :addresses "c@d" "I'll be back for newyears";
}

In this case we're back to the problem of different behavior if
using two separate vacation commands instead of one command with
two :addresses. But I guess I probably need to take this to the
ietf-mta-filters list, as this is (my perceived) problem with the
draft and not with your implementation :-)

Philip: I hope there's still time to have this latest patch
included in 4.50. It's clearly correct according to the current
draft, and a huge improvement over the current behavior.

    Bob