RE: [exim] auth_hack_outlook4 for Exim4

Autor: Eli
A: 'Piotr Roszatycki', 'Alan J. Flavell'
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] auth_hack_outlook4 for Exim4
Piotr said:

> I'm a little disappointed of such argumentation. I.e. the
> Postfix developers was more pragmatic and they implemented
> and documented broken_sasl_auth_clients option. In fact it
> seems that only Exim doesn't support such broken clients.

I'd just like to add for the record that I have 3 production Exim servers
doing SMTP AUTH for roughly 50000 users and not *ONE* of them (and trust me,
we get some doozie clients who have no clue how email works at all) has ever
reported problems authenticating. I don't even implement the little hack a
few have mentioned.

I'd have to say this patch is one you'll just have to hang on to for
personal use, maybe post a URL for others in case they want it.

Don't feel bad - I wrote an environment variable patch to allow access to
env vars in the ACLs for tracking CGI scripts to prevent spammers from
abusing our services and Philip wouldn't accept it because he was afraid not
everyone would know the outcomes from trying to use the variables in
uncertain conditions. I just maintain my patch kinda and hope that one day
it gets accepted (btw Philip, it's been running perfect on all my servers
for a year or more now(?) without any problems!).

Eli.