Re: [exim] AIX Build Notes

Author: Mike Meredith
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] AIX Build Notes
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:10:12 +0000 (GMT), Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Mike Meredith wrote:
> >    1 .. Remove -D__STR31__ (this may not be necessary but it works
> >    without) 2 .. Add '-mcpu=power4 -maix64 -O3'

> I'll do that; I suspect there are very few AIX Exim users; I certainly

Note that those compilation flags will break on older AIX machines or on
machines not running 64-bit (although I'm assuming there).

> have no access to an AIX system, so I just put in the config file what
> people tell me to.

Well there's an easy answer to that problem ... just let me know if you want
an account on an AIX system.

> > 3 .. Edit src/exim.h and remove the guard around "#define SOCKLEN_T
> >      socklen_t" ... AIX has SOCKLAN_T defined in the standard headers
> >      as blank. Yes this should go in OS/os-AIX.h, but the change isn't
> >      effective there.

> Why doesn't putting something in os-AIX.h work?

Because os.h is included before any os header files, any definition of
SOCKLEN_T will conflict with that required by the os. SOCKLEN_T is used by
two include files in AIX ... /usr/include/netinet/in.h and
/usr/include/sys/socket.h (at least). The result is that defining SOCKLEN_T
in os-AIX.h results in screenfuls of somewhat inscrutable errors relating to
the os include files.

--
Mike Meredith, Senior Informatics Officer
University of Portsmouth: Hostmaster, Postmaster and Security