Re: [exim] OT - setting vacations

Author: Bill Hacker
To: Exim-users
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] OT - setting vacations
Dermot Paikkos wrote:

> This is a bit off-topic so apologies in advance.
>
> exim 4.43 on slackware 9.1, Qpopper version 4.0.5, MMDF mailboxes, 50
> users.
>
> All the users run a version of MSWin on their desktop. Not one-man-
> jack has a shell account but they want to be able to turn on their
> own vacation messages (can't be a bad idea).
>
> The way I do this at present (on a v3x system) is to have a system

*SNIP*

> And I have to create the files for the user.
>
> Does anyone have any suggested ways to allow users to turn-on
> vacations from a windows desktop?
> Thanx.
> Dp.

Two, but both involve SQL DB's, hence neither could be considered
'universal'.

1) Access to settings held in PostgreSQL via a 'form' in the user's area
on the corporate Zope/Plone website.
Rights and privileges largely a Zope/Plone matter, behind https.

2) Have a look at Eduardo Roldan's 'Quica' PHP toolset to web-manage
configuration of *SQL settings for courier-mta and cousins. Should be
adaptable to any MTA/POP/IMAP using any *SQL to hold configurations and
such.

- Disclaimer: SQL DB's are NOT the most efficient way to manage Exim -
SQL calls are not 'cheap'.

We do so primarily 'coz we already have the user-community on it, the
security model in-place, and the SQL beast doing many other things.

Not a panacea, can be done other ways with less system load.... and PHP
needs close attention to detail w/r security.

HTH,

Bil Hacker