[exim] Dont tell the client that user does not exist at smtp…

Author: Juergen Weiss [Netzland GmbH]
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Dont tell the client that user does not exist at smtp time ?
Hello Exim Mailing List!

We have got a problem with a customer that if they send a message
with their postmaster software and dont relay on our mailserver
(send the mail to a local user) they dont get a error message to
the client but instead the software queues the message.
This seems to be a client problem (postmaster) and i think it is,
but the customer wants instead to receive a mail delivery message
containing the error code.

The exim4 server is configured per default on the last router:

localuser:
driver = accept
check_local_user
domains = LOCAL_DOMAINS
transport = local_delivery
cannot_route_message = Unknown user

Wenn i send a message to an unknown user on the local machine i
get the error message 550 Unknown user (e.g. with outlook).

But the customer wants to have the mailserver accept the message
by now and just send a mail delivery error email back to the
sender address.

He says hotmail and yahoo does this like that way and dont tell
the sending user the error directly on smtp time.

Is there a configuration to avoid this behaviour ?

Thanks in advance and

kindly regards,
Juergen Weiss
www.netzland.net