Re: [exim] Rejecting dynamic IPs [new method]

Author: Andrzej Adam Filip
To: exim-users
CC: Tony Finch
Subject: Re: [exim] Rejecting dynamic IPs [new method]
Tony Finch wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>
>>In short: "rejecting in greeting message" (5?? or 4??) can be used as a smart
>>way to hint "try your ISP relay".
>
> The problem with doing this is that it prevents people contacting your
> postmaster. This is why Exim installations usually implement all their
> policy-based rejections after RCPT.

After RCPT rejecting is not the best choice for rejecting only *direct*
submissions from DUL IPs and sending "use your ISP smart host" in "MTA
readable" format.

4?? reply after "RCPT TO:":
may make the sending host repeat delivery attempt at every queue run
(e.g. every 30m for 5 days)

5?? reply after "RCPT TO:":
makes almost all sending quit all delivery attempts by any relay

5?? code in *greeting message*:
makes some sending MTAs (sendmail and postfix) to try delivery via
"fallback relays" - it makes "5?? Listed in ... as DUL" greeting a good
way to say "use your ISP smart host" for host that strongly insist on
avoiding using smart host whenever possible.

P.S.
I "unintentional" change has happened in sendmail-8.13.2
(I wrongly wrote about 8.13.3)