Re: [exim] Bug in exim

Author: Russell Stuart
To: Bill Hacker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bug in exim
On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 10:13, Bill Hacker wrote:
> *THERE* is where I would be looking at 'WTF is *different* about this
> recipient? (or his server..)' - not for an Exim bug...

Good question. Exim seems to pick one a random. I can't see
any pattern among the 100 or so I found. This has been
going on for 9 days or so now. An Exim bug is not the first
thing I went looking for. But that is where the trail ended.

> s.a. - has to be *something unique* about that recipient... or their
> target storage, filter settings, forwarding, - maybe even that they
> exist as an 'alias' somewhere...
>
> Something Exim consistently sees as 'reason for...' what it does/fails
> to do.

Maybe I will find out what is unique when I look at the source.
However, exim isn't trying to deliver to the recipient at this
point - it is delivering to the virus scanner. It does that in
a single delivery to the virus scanner (lmtp:batch_max = 1000),
and the virus scanner bounces that single delivery. Exim then
drops one recipient, and later retries the delivery of the rest
of the recipients to the virus scanner again and again until
it works.