Re: [exim] Re: SMTP protocol violation (3ware raid controlle…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: SMTP protocol violation (3ware raid controller mailingto exim 4.44)
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> There has been much discussion about the meanings of SHOULD, MUST etc.,

Ehrlich? I thought there was an RFC about it!

> there is even a RFC about it.

So why the discussion?

> Ok, it's not strictly a protocol violation.

Right. On the other hand, nobody is compelled to accept a mail if
their policy rules are against it. So long as they issue a
protocol-correct rejection, honour is satisfied. The would-be sender
can then contact the postmaster address, and negotiate the issue.

(Which is why we have this file of blacklisted domains whose
postmaster address is rejected, or persistently "temporarily" over
quota.)