Re: [exim] exim abandoned: unknown

Author: Bill Hacker
To: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] exim abandoned: unknown
Janne wrote:

> Martin Hepworth wrote:
>
>>Jan Rockstedt wrote:

>>>Nope it should be sendmail_enable="NO" in freebsd 5.3
>>>The defaulr rc.conf say NO
>>>
>>>//Jan
>>>

>>Jan
>>
>>that's as maybe, but in order to turn off sendmail completely you need
>>to set this to NONE.
>>
>>I have this set on my 5.3 machine and it works fine.
>

> Terry and Martin.
> Thanks.!!!!
>
> My error msg is gone.:-)
>
> //Jan

I could be wrong here, but, as I understand it:

'sendmail_enable="NO"' prevents starting sendmail as a daemon at
boot-time. But only then.

'sendmail_enable="NONE"' does that too, but *also* prevents chron and
other things from calling sendmail to send out reports and such.

- Which is why you need "NONE" .... *and* presuming you do still want
security and log reports emailed off-box) should also insure that Exim
has been 'hooked in' to replace sendmail calls for those. (In the docs...).

Otherwise the box goes quiet, error messages accumulate, and a queue
(that Exim doesn't even look at) can be polluted with the failed
status/report messages.

FWIW....

Bill Hacker