RE: [exim] Opening an additional Port for SMTP

Author: Bradley Walker
To: 'Steffen Heil'
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] Opening an additional Port for SMTP

-----Original Message-----
From: Steffen Heil [mailto:lists@steffen-heil.de]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 6:05 AM
To: bawalker@???
Subject: AW: [exim] Opening an additional Port for SMTP

> Good idea to block worms.

Oh I agree and I think there needs to be something in place, but I think my
ISP went to the far extent by doing a wide sweep and filtering everything to
their smtp.frontiernet.net server. While it's liveable I have talked and
asked them numerous times if they could open port 25 up only for me and for
my business. In order to do that I need to upgrade my DSL account to the
$99/mon package.

> daemon_smtp_ports = smtp : 587 : 465
> Don't use 127. Use 587, it's anyway what the rfc tells you to use to

submit messages. 25 was (by rfc) for server-server
> communication only....

As someone else mentioned that I needed to restrict access to the newly
opened ports after I open them. What is all the code associated with doing
that as well? Someone else added:

acl_check_mail:

   deny   condition = ${if eq{$interface_port}{587} {yes}{no}}
          condition = ${if !def:authenticated_id {yes}{no}}
          message   = SMTP AUTH required before submission

But I'm wondering if that is all I need? Like I mentioned before I'm new to
using the exim.conf file and learning a lot in a short period of time for
servers I'm managaging. Basically I want to provide port 25 to customers on
a normal basis, but then for other customers who are behind port 25
filtering like myself, provide them a different port that connects just the
same with the same authenticated user support.