RE: [exim] Spool file is locked?

Author: Houle, Michael
To: Marc Sherman, exim-users
CC:
Subject: RE: [exim] Spool file is locked?

> I frequently (a few times a day) see the following message in
> my mainlog
> (with different message ID's, of course):
>
> 2005-01-18 18:40:17 1Cr2xF-00045e-2C Spool file is locked (another
> process is handling this message)
>
> What does this mean? Is it a normal occurance when a
> queue-run tries to
> deliver a message while it is being accepted over SMTP? Or
> is it a sign
> of some kind of error in my configuration?
>
> Thanks,
> - Marc

As I understand it, this can happen when more than one queue-runner
processes are fighting over a message. Or if a manual attempt to deliver
a queued message interferes with a queue runner.

In our environment it happens a fair bit as we run a queue runner every
5m and sometimes we have a few messages in the queue.

These errors are benign and can be ignored IMO.

HTH.