Re: [exim] Removing a wildcard address

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] Removing a wildcard address

I haven't followed this in detail, but I think I get the gist of your
question:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Ben Giddings wrote:

> Ah, you're right, that's what I meant. I want to deny the message. So is
> there a way to do that by modifying /etc/aliases

So long as your RCPT ACL does a verify for the recipient address of
incoming mail, you can have entries in your alias files like

uucp: :fail: This system account does not read mail.

fred: :fail: Not accepting mail, consult postmaster@???

and so on. These will be triggered when recipient verification is
attempted. RTFM for details. You may need to set

smtp_return_error_details = true

in the main configuration to be sure these details get back to the
offering MTA - I can't exactly remember.

> or do I have to hard-code a rule in the config file?

Oh no: the aliases file can be updated without having to kick the
daemon.

As ever, you should try running a test transaction (if necessary with
some debugging enabled) to be sure it's doing what you intended.

hth