Re: [exim] closed connection in response to end of data

Author: Tony Finch
To: Jim Roberts
CC: exim-users, Jan-Piet Mens
Subject: Re: [exim] closed connection in response to end of data
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Jim Roberts wrote:

> Perhaps there is a problem with the firewall on the sending side? I've seen
> firewalls do funny things with the last packets, such as drop them because
> they "lose" the "related connection" state after the internal side sends a
> "close connection". So the client MUA may be sitting about waiting for your
> server to send a final ACK (TCP/IP) packet, which was sent, but may have been
> dropped by the *client's* firewall, not yours. See if you can get a log from
> the sending end.

The problem occurs earlier than that, because the sender never sees the
response to CRLF.CRLF and aborts at that point, but the recipient thinks
the sender received it and said QUIT despite the sender thinking
otherwise. Definitely firewall protocol fux-up.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
CAPE WRATH TO RATTRAY HEAD INCLUDING ORKNEY: NORTHWEST 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6